Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Art

Some people think art is something that exists in a fancy museum or something that happens on a glamorous stage in front of thousands. The rest of us know better.

Here is some art that I have recently seen and been a part of (please excuse the lack of art in these pictures however...sometimes my crappy camera is cooperative and sometimes its not)

Here are some of my favorite gingerbread houses that my co-worker Gretchen and I saw at the Gingerbread Festival at Thanksgiving Point last week.

Star Wars, if you look through the trees you can see some Storm Troopers too.
This one was incredible and this picture does it no justice. There's the Eiffel Tower, Big Ben, the Empire State Building etc...

Not the best picture, not the best Gingerbread house, mostly I just put this one up because my sister-in-law Amy has a mild-to-medium sized obsession with Rainbow Bright.

Again, not the most well done Gingerbread house but the subject matter is something we can all get behind.

Here are the play dough creations of Courtney, Aubree, Shawn and myself from Thursday night. Easton didn't participate because he fell asleep during Home Alone. I know right? How can someone fall asleep during such an action packed adventure? I love Home Alone. Buzz, your girlfriend...woof.


Courtney made this spider in his web with his 8 eyes, 4 teeth and tongue sticking out to consume the fly he just caught. Very detailed indeed.
Aubree made this hot dog. Looks good enough to eat doesn't it?
Shawn made this dead man with a mustache. Yep, that's my husband.

And I made this octopus with a top hat and cane. I'm not sure why but he looks familiar to me. Does anyone remember ever seeing an octopus with a top hat a cane before? Maybe I knew him in another life.

Well, I hope you've enjoyed your journey into fine art. Happy Thanksgiving!!!

14 comments:

Rebecca said...

He must be Henry the Octopus's (from the Wiggles) long lost brother Irvin. That's my guess. And Amy having a mild-medium sized obsession with Rainbow Bright? Come on now!!!It's much bigger than that. Did you get to eat any? Gingerbread, not playdough.

Mary said...

Oh my word the one in the middle is crazy. And fyi, your mom didn't finish my laurel project it was just soo bad that she couldn't in good conscience leave it as it was. So she ripped it all apart, found that I had stuffed it with pillow batting, yes I didn't know the difference back then, and yes I have come a long way, and then resewed it. But I tied it with your help of course. And I still have it and my kids love it and they ask who everyone is, but always recognize "we get the boyz" as Aunt Whitney.

molly said...

oswald is an octopus with an askew top hat and sometimes carries a crook necked umbrella... but not a cane.

beckie said...

Home Alone! I love Home Alone.

My favorite line is from the attic
Merv: Maybe he commited suicide.

Van Ry Clan of Layton Ave said...

I have to agree with my mom come on Amy wants to be Rainbow Brite, wait she already was, those houses were pretty cool, Oswald the Octopus does have a dog that is a hot dog has Shawn been leaving the TV on Nickelodeon when you fall asleep again?

Unknown said...

I love the gingerbread houses! People are so creative!

Amber said...

True confessions: I've never seen Home Alone. Any of them.

Your skills with the play dough really know no bounds. Congratulations to all.

Tracy said...

Wow, now I know what I would do with my time if I didn't watch 6 hours of tv every night. You all are so talented. I thought your octopus looked like Oswald. Love the devotion to High School Musical!

amibelle said...

I do in fact love Rainbow Brite. She is the coolest superhero. I just found a book called "Rainbow Brite saves Christmas!" I'll let you read it sometime. Those were awesome gingerbread houses. You guys have awesome play dough skills.

Sommer said...

Whitney you are soooo fun! the dead man is pretty interesting, I'm pretty impressed by the octopus and spider, great job. And I LOVE Home Alone. I can't get enough of it around this time of year, my favorite line is, Fuller, go easy on the pepsi!"

Kathleen said...

no fair! you get comments from both Mom Lindseth and Amy?? i never get comments from either! i guess i know now who's the favorite sister-in-law!

ps my kids would LOVE to play playdough with you guys--i never get that creative!

The Wiseman Life said...

I never knew there was a Gingerbread Festival...did you make that up? lol
Honestly you and Shawn are always doing this awesomely fun things...Um...hello....we do nothing but sit and play Wii. (Hint Hint)

Ashley said...

Kind of makes me want to go make a gingerbread house now! I'm not sure if you know this or not, but every Easter they have a contest here where people make art with marshmello peeps. Last year somebody (I think from York II) won when they made the Mormon Tabernacle Choir with peeps!

Beckie said...

Issy needs a gingerbread house for preschool, wanna come do it for me?