Monday, November 23, 2009

Nothing Says Happy Holidays Like Poisonous Decor

Oh Christmas Tree, oh Christmas Tree, you're tiny cute and so cheap
Oh Christmas Tree, oh Christmas Tree, so cheap I bought 4 of you

With plans to sting you up with lights,
and on my porch you'd glow all night.

Oh Christmas Tree, oh Christmas Tree, please don't try to kill me.

And it is with that little introduction I bring you this:

Exhibit A:


Seemingly harmless harbinger of seasonal joy and symbol of everlasting life. Purchased just after Christmas last year for the extremely small clearance fee of $.50.

Exhibit B:

The tag I only just noticed after "handling the plastic used in this product."

WHAT THE WHAT??? Is this legal??? Is this America???

I mean, I really do just want to put them on my porch cutely adorned with shining mini lights of merriment. Is that a crime? Should I just throw these away? But what if some Christian homeless person rifles through my dumpster and finds himself a fun sized tree just the right height for his shopping cart? I don't know if I can live with that kind of guilt.

Can it really be that bad if these things even made it to store shelves? Target, oh Target what have you done?

7 comments:

Monica said...

whitney- I had the same issue---ALL fake christmas tree, wreaths, garland have the same thing as well as lights...It totally ruined decorating for me....I have honestly debated whether or not to put the tree up or any lights, many of the fake pumkins are the same way.

Unknown said...

Dear China.... maybe you should consider making safer cheap decor items. its a conspiracy man... maybe theyre also the reason so many food allergies exist?... :P

Anonymous said...

I had no idea! Does this mean that our fake Christmas tree is the same way? Why do people even make these products?

Sarah C. said...

Those Californians and their strict guidelines about what is "dangerous." I'd ignore it if I were you.

p.s. you're a real pal, Whit. I mean it.

Mary said...

Seriously just use the things, wash your hands, and worry no more.

Kathleen said...

Don't worry - you're in Utah, not California -- cubby

Ashley said...

You're kidding me! I have lost some faith in Target.